Even though I’m in a relationship, I still remember my single days (as if it’s so far away). Every year, I would end up watching chick flicks and getting drunk off wine with my friends. After that was nachos in bed and another movie. I would paint my nails and be in bed before 10pm.
Now, I still stay home-I flat out refuse to do out to dinner on Valentine’s Day, let alone a weekend night. I now convince P to make me a rack of ribs and homemade onion rings; and I eat 70% of it by myself. He gets to watch (*wink* sexy…)
In honor of this Valentine’s Day-or as some people call it “National Single Day”, I’ve made a little list as to why you can still enjoy your singledom on this commercialized couples holiday.
1. You can be selfish. You can wake up in the middle of the bed. You can make breakfast for one- and that means dishes for one.
2. You can use the money you would have spent on your significant other on yourself. Buy those shoes you kept seeing in the window display. Go to the store and buy yourself a new outfit for your next girls night out. Buy yourself a spa day and get an extra long massage. Flirt with the hot masseuse- why? Because you’re single.
3. You can bypass that pre-Valentines fighting. Maybe it’s just me or the people I’ve talked to, but it seems like couples tend to argue more frequently right before major holidays. Especially Valentines- it’s like the couple is trying to get their last spiteful one-liners in before they have to be all nice and googley-eyed to each other.
4. Remember that many couples break up on Valentines Day. Or the day after, which I think is even worse. At least it’s not you.
5. You can go on a date, and not be tied down. That means you can go on a date with 6.5 billion other people. That’s 6,500 x 1 million. Uh, fuck yeah.
6. You’re the master of the thermostat (or the AC unit) in the house.
7. You can still get laid. Maybe even more often. Certainly with more variety.
8. You can focus on your career. Or school. Or any other non-relationship thing.
Happy Valentine’s Day! Or National Single’s Day!